Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Melodramatic Missing of a Missionary (or Several Missionaries, if You Will)

Dear ...........

After you left, I left your memory.

I left it right there by the side of my metaphorical road of life, because everything in my life is metaphorical.

My life is funny, grand, smashing, TOO SICK, adventurous, awkward and all sorts of good things that you left me with and I decided to keep.

I decided many things since you left, which is rather surprising for me, because as you know, I'm rather indecisive.

Know I'm missing you, though, because when you left I had learned all sorts of good things, but I felt missing-ness, too.

I felt a secondhand joy that bites the nose, because gosh, you were just an amazing kid doing stunning things, but my heart was a little hole-punched after you left.

Hole-punched after the rambunctious shenanigans we shared, because that is what the young 'uns do and we were definitely young 'uns and we still are young 'uns, but you are there and I am here.

And I am undulating in my life right now and you know exactly where you are going today, tomorrow, next week, six months, a year from now.

A year and you won't even know yourself and you won't even know me and I won't know you and I won't know I.

I won't be me and you won't be you, at least not the you that I knew and liked.
I knew it would happen before you left, I knew that when you get back I will see you in a different way, like an image in a refracted mirror created by laser-point pens and you will see me as if through a blurry contact lense in a mixed bag of emotions.

Mixed bag of funniness, grandness, smashingness, TOO SICK-ness, adventurousness, and I can guarantee that there will be some awkwardness.

There will be the things you left me with, but new things as well because while you were gone I had to take some string and clay and fill in the hole-punches.

Fill in the missing bits until "y'all" got back and could fill them in again.

Fill them in in a different way, because some of the clay cemented in the hole that "y'all" left in me.

"Y'all" left, not "you all" or "all of you" because my Texan friend filled in some of those holes with big smiles and constant "y'all-ing".

          You see, I had to do something to survive, because I've undergone a bit of identity crisis while you are away and I would like to warn you that when you get back I will not be the same as when you left me. People are not like that. We are not like your old room, or the books on your bookshelf. We morph and it's psycho.

          That is why I left your memory. Because you would morph too, and it would be for the best, but it would be painful to look back when you come back and I don't know you.
My one hope is that we'll still be somewhat friends.
I hope we will, and I hope you hope so too.
If you do, I think it might be so.

Yours truly,

...............






4 comments:

  1. Holy shiz chika.

    We morph and it's psycho

    I won't know you and I won't know I and I am is but he isn't was and she is was

    My mother is a fish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you understood what I was trying to say there because I just read it and it makes no sense.

    I love blog comments

    P.S. who is this about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfully, because of AP Lit, I got what you were saying.
    I also sometimes wish that blogs had 'like' buttons, because I really liked your comment.
    P.S. This is more about the comings and goings and evolution of the human soul than it is about one specific person. I guess you could say that there are bits of it that come from all the times I've had someone exit my life, and bits of it are from the parts where I've had someone re-enter it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.P.S. Look at the format of the poem, more specifically the last phrases and the first phrases of every section. Just food for thought.

    ReplyDelete